At Grouse Malt House, we are committed to not only making high quality malt but also pushing the limits of flavor. Recently, we expanded our product portfolio by adding a malt that is high-dried, meaning kilned with increased heat. This product is now known as Red Wing Millet Malt.
This malt has a robust flavor of caramel, toffee, raisin, plum, and breakfast cereal. It finishes with a medium body and perfectly balanced sweetness. With a SRM of 30-35, it offers a deep ruby red color that we love, and fits perfectly in the malt bill for an amber, red, brown, and more.
Red Ale (recipe below)
Red Wing Hot Steep
We are offering a discount on the Red Wing while supplies last.
Grouse Gluten Free Red Ale
Beer Style: Irish Red Ale
Yield: 5.50 gallons
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65%
2.5:1-3:1 Water to Grist
- .75 tsp Calcium Chloride (Mash 60 minutes) Water Agent
- 6 ml of High Temp Alpha (Termamyl) Mash Agent
- 5 ml of Glucoamylase (Amylase AG) Mash Agent
- 5 lb Pale Millet (2 SRM)
- 5 lb Caramel Buckwheat (3 SRM)
- 5 lb Munich Millet (3 SRM)
- 5 lb Red Wing Amber Millet (29 SRM)
- 1 lb French Roast (27 SRM)
- 6 oz Caramel 120 Millet (160 SRM)
- .25 oz Bravo (14.2%) – Boil 60 minutes
- .25 oz Bravo (14.2%) – Boil 30 minutes
- 1 tsp Irish Moss – Boil 15 minutes
- .25 oz Bravo (14.2%) – Boil 10 minutes
- .5 tsp Yeast Nutrient – Boil 10 minutes
- 5 g SafealeUS-05
OG: 1.054 FG: 1.010
Primary Fermentation: 7-10 days at 68-72 degrees Fahrenheit
168F target mash temperature held with high temp alpha for 30 minutes.
Add 1-2qt of 60F water per 15lbs of grist to lower the mash temperature to between 155F-158F then add Glucoamylase and hold for another 30 minutes.